Re: Update https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection Inquiry

On 10/17/2012 06:34 AM, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
Dear Ubuntu Kernel Team / Ubuntu Bug Control:

Regarding https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection , I and other
linux package original reporters (ex.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1029790 ) have
encountered problems when following the directions for this article.

For example, what happens is when one executes the following at a terminal:
git bisect start Ubuntu-3.2.0-14.23 Ubuntu-3.2.0-15.24

the debian and debian.master folders get deleted by this command. However, the
next step in the article
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection#Give_this_test_a_version_number
mentions that one would want to edit debian.master/changelog.

Can you try that again. I didn't see the debian directories get deleted. Try this set of commands in a new directory and see if those directories still get deleted:
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git
cd ubuntu-precise
git bisect start Ubuntu-2.6.35-25.43 Ubuntu-2.6.35-24.42
ls debian.master

This inconsistency is not discussed in the article, confuses and
frustrates first time bisectors, prevents them from performing their
own bisect, and requires them to seek support via
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam#Communications .

Unfortunately, I am not well versed in git bisect to understand why
this is happening, should this be happening, and how to create a better
article to prevent first time bisectors from getting stuck on this
problem in the future.

How do you think the article could be improved given this problem?

The wiki page covers how to bisect Ubuntu kernels. I'll be adding some information on how to bisect the upstream kernels as well.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter and I look
forward to your response.

--
Christopher M. Penalver
E-Mail: christopher.penalver@xxxxxxx