Re: Improving documentation on mainline kernel v. compat-wireless inquiry

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 12:44:41PM -0400, Christopher Penalver wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Kernel Team / Ubuntu Bug Control:
>
> Hello. While triaging wireless related linux (Ubuntu) bug reports, a
> seemingly common misconception is that when an original reporter tests
> the mainline kernel, they refuse to test compat-wireless or upstream
> compat-wireless due to the following common response, "I already
> tested the mainline kernel". This seems in error, as the mainline
> kernel provided by the Ubuntu Kernel team
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds does not include patches
> in linux-next, correct? If so, it seems prudent to further clarify
> this in the following Ubuntu debugging articles to prevent this
> misconception:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LinuxWireless

Cirtainly mainline kernels only reach up as far as Linus' tree so if
people are saying that compat wireless has been tested then they are
probabally right in a sense as our compat wireless bundles are only made
from full release versions.  If there is a 'next' version of that though
they clearly have not tested it and we need to message that
appropriatly.

If you have any suggestions on the form of words we could add I would be
appreciative.  Or indeed you could edit the wiki pages and we can
review.

-apw