My Bug Control application

Hello everyone, I’m Adolfo (~fitoschido), a Ubuntu Member and Bug
Squad member since 2012-01-17, but I started triaging bugs before
that. I’d wish to have a more “important” role while triaging, and
after being motivated by Jono Bacon’s Accomplishments System [1], I’m
mailing my application to this list. I hope you consider me!

> 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

I promise to always be polite. I’ve signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
in 2010-09-13.

> 2. Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?

I’ve read all of these documents. No questions at this time.

> 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more information.

Sensitive user data not related to the crashing program, such as
passwords, account details, DVD CSS keys and the like. Also, a public
bug mustn’t have a coredump.gz attached.

> 4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are interested in helping out with?

As I’m a translator, I work a lot with l10n bugs, which usually are
assigned to the relevant language l10n team so they are notified. It
would be easier for me to assign relevant l10n teams to a certain bug
if I were a Bug Control member. (These days I always have to wait for
~dpm or ~kelemeng to do this, making triaging process slower and
delaying a potential fix from these l10n teams)

Aside that, I also work with “regular” (i.e. non-l10n-related) bugs
for unity and some gnome programs. I review bug descriptions, then I
try to reproduce them, and then I ask for more information or confirm
them, as appropriate. I can also apply tags to certain bugs so
developers can find them more easily.

Recently I have seen many reports not in English. I understand
Spanish, a language on which many reports by newbies are written. When
I find a bug report in Spanish, I ask the reporter to translate it to
English with a standard reply from the Bugs/Responses wiki page; but I
can also directly translate the report, as some of these reporters do
not have the necessary English-language skills.

> 5. Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and include an explanation of your decisions. Please note that these bugs should be representative of your very best work and they should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to properly handle bugs. For all the bugs in the list, please indicate what importance you would give it and explain the reasoning. Please use urls in your list of bugs.

I think you can have a better notion of my work if you check out my
bug trail [2]. But this is a requisite, so:

“Spinner has light grey background on field with white background”:
http://pad.lv/1077903
This is a simple visual bug on Apport, easily confirm-able. I would
give this a importance of “Low”, since it does not affect the
functionality of Apport nor it does impede its usage.

“‘You should restart Firefox now’ popup is not translated”:
http://pad.lv/1074663
This bug affects all users of Firefox who don’t speak English, and as
such it does impact accessibility. It has moderate impact on a core
app, so it should have “Medium” importance.

“Add a button ‘Translate this description’ to crowdsource Package
translations”: http://pad.lv/1061489
This is a Wishlist, as it’s a request to add a new feature.

“Nunca reconoce bien el monitor”: http://pad.lv/1075896
This is a bug written in Spanish. I asked the reporter to translate
it, because it refers to a display issue which I can’t reproduce ATM.
If it can be confirmed, it should have High importance (as it would
affect an essential hardware component)

“Restart-required message is out of date”: http://pad.lv/1048576
This bug was reported by ~mpt as a usability bug, which should have
Low importance. I triaged it as affecting Ubuntu Translations because
the problem was in the en_GB translation, which ~mpt and British
people use.

--
[1]: http://213.138.100.229:8000/gallery/opportunities/ubuntu-community/ubuntu-bugcontrol-member
[2]: http://search.gmane.org/?query=&author=Adolfo%20Jayme%20Barrientos%20&group=gmane.linux.ubuntu.bugs.general&sort=date&DEFAULTOP=and