Re: Announcing the Next Ubuntu Bug Day!

On 17/03/2013 01:12, AG Restringere wrote:
> Fabio,
>
> Given these two items:
> - Verify the bug is still not fixed
> How do you quickly verify if the problem has been fixed?

> What is the process to be used?
>
>  -Request any needed info
> What is the specific log(s) and information needed?
>
> Best,
> AG

Hallo

This is one of the cases where it is not possible to reproduce quickly
the issue.
The first thing is to search for duplicates, or scrolling down
the ubuntu-release-upgrader list
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader> or
googling for: site:bugs.launchpad.net keywordsrelative and in the case
will appear the green written `Fix released'
This particular package is used to upgrade from one release to another,
so you can understand that the `launchpad' is highly customized (extra
packages, proprietary drivers, personal settings, unsupported packages,
ecc. ecc.).
The only way that we have to reproduce the bug is to recreate the
scenario of the reporter, unless it is not closely hardware related (
video, audio, devices, ecc.), in a virtual machine and run the upgrade.
If the bug does not occour to you and it is reported from just one
person, then the probabilty to reproduce it again are near to 0.
In this case simply tell to the reporter that you are not able to
reproduce the issue, ask for more detailed steps to reproduce, subscribe
youself to the report and set the status of the bug to incomplete.
Apport automatically attach log files, analyzing them we can have hints
of what happens during the upgrade.
If needed, the relative logfiles can be found on /var/log/dist-upgrade.
This is an example of error in apt.log:

MarkUpgrade() called on a non-upgrable pkg: 'brasero'
ERROR:root:Upgrading 'brasero' failed
Log time: 2013-03-15 18:58:20.835223

This is a managed error:

Investigating (0) linux-image-extra-3.5.0-18-generic [ amd64 ] <
3.5.0-18.29 > ( kernel )
Broken linux-image-extra-3.5.0-18-generic:amd64 Depends on
linux-image-3.5.0-18-generic [ amd64 ] < 3.5.0-18.29 > ( kernel )
  Considering linux-image-3.5.0-18-generic:amd64 10001 as a solution to
linux-image-extra-3.5.0-18-generic:amd64 -1
  Removing linux-image-extra-3.5.0-18-generic:amd64 rather than change
linux-image-3.5.0-18-generic:amd64
Done

regards
Fabio