Re: Marking Lucid Desktop duplicates of bug 1327300

* Christopher M. Penalver (christopher.m.penalver@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Just to touch on Brian Murray's comments (because I'm now being CC'ed,
> and there is a lag on what gets posted to the Launchpad archive):
>
> > Subsequently, if the bug is in fact with the kernel then it is still valid and likely should be marked as a duplicate.
>
> If this regression in the kernel which caused a problem in, for
> example, the package apt, and folks cannot add/remove packages,
> agreed, the symptoms (apt not working) should be fixed in the kernel
> (root cause). I disagree with marking a a duplicate of 1327300 for
> symptom fixes of unsupported packages, because the supported package
> had a regression.

Looking at the fix described in another message it seems a fundamental
breakage in futex calls; it's going to be a shotgun causing bugs all over
the place.

> > How did you make the determination that a system is a 10.04 Server or a 10.04 Desktop? There is no easy way to make that distinction as far as I know.
>
> Apport catches the install ISO name and posts it in the Bug
> Description. Also, one could clarify with the bug reporter at a worst
> case.
>
> >  Subsequently, the distinction between a Server and a Desktop seems rather moot, the support is provided on a per package basis not installation type.
>
> Ok, then why even say Lucid Desktop is not supported on the release
> page, since packages of either are supported on either? Based on this,
> Lucid Desktop is fully supported on all the packages it's being
> supported in, nothing different from Lucid Server. I could guess to
> the intention of this (trying to be accommodating and not slam hammer
> people to upgrade off Lucid Desktop). However, the support structure
> from my vantage point is contradictory in saying one thing in one
> place, and saying another in another.

No, there are packages that are specifically in Lucid Desktop; but
packages that are in both; if I happen to have installed from a Desktop
iso but the bug is in a package included in a server install then
the bug is still valid.

Lets imagine that some unfortunate Desktop user hits a bug, and they
give a good report, but that bug is in a common package and that
helps fix it for users of server, it would be a shame to lose the information
that helps fix it for the supported users.

Remember, the point of bugcontrol is not to act as harsh policemen; it's
to get bugs fixed, yes that sometimes means throwing out the old crud,
but in the end it also means recognising when the bug is important/shared.

Dave