Re: Why not triaging confirmed bugs instead of new ones?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson:
I agree that triagers should check out confirmed bugs. But new ones are also
motivated to look at, since many of them are easily triagable.

I see what you mean: there are many bugs that are affecting someone else but its status is "new".

The point here is most new bugs doesn't fall into this, since they need someone to confirm them first.

Although you can confirm bugs while triaging, they are really two separated processes; where triaging always depends on confirming first:

 [New bugs] --> (Testing process) -->
 [Confirmed bugs] --> (Triaging process) -->
 [Triaged bugs] --> (Fixing process) -->

So the idea behind having a list of confirmed bugs only is to have a more coherent work-flow, where when you are testing you are testing and when you are triaging you are triaging.

Alberto Salvia Novella:
> Moreover, what is the point of confirming bug reports one by one?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson:
> Not sure what you mean. If you think a bug is ready for the
> developers, you mark it "triaged", don't you?

What I mean is if a bug has a status of new you will have to confirm it before triaging it. If it is confirmed, you can go directly to the triaging.

So why merging processes? Specially when confirmation is done itself during testing and day by day system usage.

Alberto Salvia Novella:
> If the bug is somehow relevant, wouldn't it be happening to at least
> two people in the world while testing the software? Then why not
> spending
> that time rather in finding bugs than in reading tons of invalid
> reports?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson:
> I don't think there is an absolute truth here.

There isn't. What I am suggesting is that perhaps it is worthless to be looking through, lets say, fifty new reports for finding one that is about a relevant bug; when having a list of already confirmed bugs where nearly all of them are fixable for sure.

Summarizing: looking through new reports is relevant when hunting bugs in the system, and irrelevant most of the time when making reports ready to be worked on by a developer.

Regards.