Re: Shorting packages upgrades first could prevent a lot of misguided work

On 09/01/2014 08:17 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> I wanted to propose that bugs related with package upgrades be given a priority of critical (or high), so the firsts
> bugs listed are those and this will prevent people spending time patching bugs that lately will just go away with an
> upgrade.
>
> For example, see the case of gnome-media: it has 133 opened bugs, but just an upgrade will fix all of them since the
> software has been rewritten from scratch; and the upstream developers no longer supports the version used in Ubuntu:
>
>  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/gnome-media/+bug/1363973>
>
> Shorting this kind of bugs first will fix many flaws and prevent hours of useless patching. In fact, it could be the
> difference between the application working or staying broken in Ubuntu releases.

If the bug has been fixed upstream, the upstream bug task should have the status of 'Fix Committed' or 'Fix Released'.
Rather than playing around with changing the meaning of priorities (which should only refer to the priority of the bug
and nothing else), the status should be represented by the status field of the bug.

If there is no upstream bug task, how do you know the bugs has been fixed upstream and will be resolved by an upgrade?

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen@xxxxxxxxxx>
https://launchpad.net/~bregma