Re: Should bug 1451789 be closed?

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alberto Salvia Novella:
>> Should <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1451789>  be
>> closed as "won't fix"?
>
> Thomas Ward:
>> Is there any real reason to mark it as closed/won't fix?
>
> The package appears to be a blob that nobody will be able to fix.

I don't think that's valid reasoning here, Alberto.  Like most
'restricted' section drivers, the upstreams have to fix it (that'd be
Broadcom in this case).  Also, since Broadcom chips are EXTREMELY
popular among manufacturers, we can't just 'close' bugs which affect a
driver in a critical way.

You'll need to be providing evidence that nobody will be able to fix
things.  If it were a case of us won't fixing driver packages bugs
because we as non-privileged users with no access to driver source
code, we'd have a billion closed bugs as "Won't Fix" against every
single driver.

------
Thomas