Fwd: libepoxy / libGLX_indirect issue on 16.04

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Raj Bhattacharjea <raj.b@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 at 10.23
Subject: libepoxy / libGLX_indirect issue on 16.04
To: C de-Avillez <hggdh2@xxxxxxxxxx>

Regarding:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libepoxy/+bug/1574886

That bug and the related duplicates are present in 16.04 today. It boils
down to a problem with libepoxy that I can verify is fixed in the zesty
version of the package. I manually installed the zesty version of
libepoxy using "dpkg -i" on my 16.04 LTS and the segfaults disappear.

Triggering the segfault:
Server: fully updated x86_64 Ubuntu 16.04, with an NVIDIA GPU and the
current proprietary drivers, with a monitor plugged in and local session
running.
Client: Log in to server via "ssh -Y", and try running synaptic. The
client terminal reports a segfault, and the display on the server
prompts the user to file a bug report to help improve Ubuntu, saying
that synaptic has crashed.

My fix: install the zesty version of libepoxy on my xenial install.
There have been some other workarounds suggested involving symlinks
between libGLX libraries that don't exist, and the NVIDIA libraries that
do, but these don't address the root issue, which is a null-pointer
dereference in libepoxy that get's triggered when the libGLX libraries
aren't found.

This seems like a high-impact, major regression that should be fixed in
the current LTS. Given that the zesty version of libepoxy fixes the
issue, I'm requesting that the zesty package be properly tested against
16.04 LTS and eventually replace the current libepoxy package in the
repos. Or, anything that has the net effect of pulling the patch
(
https://github.com/anholt/libepoxy/commit/a15a92c2cbe0a8f45a1ff6258b22957c17c7118e
)
into the Ubuntu 16.04 version of libepoxy is fine, I'm not sure how
things need to be done.
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by
Raj Bhattacharjea (https://launchpad.net/~raj-b)