Application for the Bug Control Team

Hello,

I'm Erich Eickmeyer, leader of the Ubuntu Studio flavor. I've been
leading Ubuntu Studio for two years, and most people already know me or
at least who I am in the various ubuntu IRC chatrooms.

 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
    to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
      * Yes, I can continue to be polite. I signed the Code of Conduct
        many years ago.

 2. Have you read Bugs/Triage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
    Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
      * I have read all of those documents and have applied them when
        triaging bugs for Ubuntu Studio's internal bug reports

 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
    report bug before making it public? See Bugs/Triage for more information
      * Passwords, bank account information, encryption keys, user
        names, server names, or anything not related to the application
        in question.

 4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
    interested in helping out with?
      * In particular, as Ubuntu Studio lead, I need to be able to work
        with packages in the Ubuntu Studio packageset as well as any
        package seeded by Ubuntu Studio, and really any package
        affecting Ubuntu Studio's functionality.

 5. Bug list:
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/1251065
          o First bug I ever filed, did it with the help of Alan Pope.
            Was assigned medium importance in Ubuntu since it was a
            problem directly in the kerenel and beyond Ubuntu's control,
            but sent upstream to freedesktop.org as high importance
            since it affected the video driver in the kernel. Issue was
            finally fixed roughly 3 years later.
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ufraw/+bug/1768855
          o Years-old bug for ufraw, which ceased development in 2015
            and FTBFS in Ubuntu 19.10. Subsequently, ufraw was removed
            from Debian and Ubuntu's repositories. Commenters only found
            workarounds by using older packages. Since fixing upstream
            packages that aren't developed anymore is outside of the
            scope of Ubuntu, should be marked as "Won't Fix" and have
            "Medium" importance since it affects the usability of the
            non-core application.
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mididings/+bug/1775109
          o Bug was originally filed against Ubuntu Studio itself, and
            should have been filed against the package, marked as such.
            Unfortunately, application's development ceased and, per
            upstream, was forked. However, since it has been removed
            from the Ubuntu archives, it should be set as "Won't Fix"
            and have "Medium" importance since the non-core application
            was not functioning.
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/musescore/+bug/1835847
          o A feature request bug which I marked as "Invalid" for the
            Ubuntu package, probably could have remained "New" with
            "Wishlist" as importance since it was a feature request.
            Regardless, it was picked-up by the upstream and became a
            wishlist item for the MuseScore project.
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntustudio-installer/+bug/1839182
          o ubuntustudio-installer, a core application for Ubuntu
            Studio, had a divide-by-zero error while running. This was
            worked on very quickly by Len Ovens. Would have been marked
            as "Confirmed" since it affected multiple people and "High"
            since it affected an Ubuntu Studio application that provides
            critical functionality in installing Ubuntu Studio's
            benefits in other Ubuntu flavors, and the application was
            failing to function.
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntustudio-controls/+bug/1848785
          o ubuntustudio-controls is an application that provides much
            of Ubuntu Studio's core functionality. In this case, it was
            a simple window size issue that was already in the works. As
            such, status was marked as "In Progress" and should have had
            "Medium" priority.
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1851346
          o Ubuntu Studio uses a Ubiquity plugin during install that
            allows users to fine-tune what is installed rather than the
            entire default installation. Unfortunately, un-selecting
            either an entire metapackage or a single package is causing
            the installer to remove more packages at the end of the
            installation than intended, or the installation fails
            altogether. This should be marked as "critical" as it
            affects a very high portion of Ubuntu Studio's users that
            wish to tailor Ubuntu Studio for their own use case, and is
            affecting entire installations, thereby rendering those
            systems unusable.
      * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntustudio-installer/+bug/1868855
          o Another bug found in ubuntustudio-installer. This time the
            installer GUI was failing, even though the underlying
            processes were continuing. Unfortunately, that would end-up
            with the GUI being stuck on the screen until the process was
            killed. Would have been "High" priority since affected the
            essential function of the package, which in this case was to
            provide user feedback of installation progress.

I realize I entered more bugs than enough, I just wanted to be thorough
in case I was wrong about at least one. :)

Thanks,
Erich
----
Erich Eickmeyer