Re: Application for ubuntu-bugcontrol

On Thu, Sep 01, 2022 at 12:30:07PM -0400, Nick Rosbrook wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Nick Rosbrook (enr0n on IRC and elsewhere), and I am a
> member of the Foundations team at Canonical. Please see below my
> application for ubuntu-bugcontrol.
>
> 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
> to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> Yes, I promise to be polite to all bug reporters. I have signed the
> Ubuntu Code of Conduct (see https://launchpad.net/~enr0n).
>
> 2. Have you read Bugs/Triage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
>
> Yes, I have read the various wiki pages at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/, and I continue to use these pages as
> reference. I do not have any questions about the documentation at this
> time.

Great, I'm glad the pages are still useful!

> 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public? See Bugs/Triage for more
> information.
>
> Common examples of sensitive data include usernames, passwords, and
> private IP addresses. Many forms of data may be considered sensitive
> to different users, and we should carefully consider all crash report
> data before making it public.

I agree that careful consideration is important. When in doubt we should
check with the reporter.

> 4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
>
> In my work on the Foundations team, I focus primarily on systemd and
> ubuntu-release-upgrader bugs.

I've seen your work on ubuntu-release-upgrader bug reports and I
appreciate you looking at them. Lots of people encounter issues when
upgrading releases of Ubuntu and its important to help them run the
latest and greatest version.

> 5. Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and
> include an explanation of your decisions. Please note that these bugs
> should be representative of your very best work and they should
> demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. For all the bugs in the list, please indicate
> what importance you would give it and explain the reasoning. Please
> use urls in your list of bugs.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapd/+bug/1966203 - After investigating
> the issue and identifying a snapd udev rule as the root cause, I set
> the bug status accordingly for snapd and systemd. The importance
> should be low because the bug only results in unnecessary error
> messages, and a simple workaround exists.

Thank you for following up to comment #10 in this report. When triaging
bugs its important to try and get more details about issues people are
having even if they are commenting on the wrong bug. I agree with a low
importance here.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jammy/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1969786
> - I asked the reporter to run apport-collect to gather logs, and then
> was able to trace the exception and suggest a partial fix. I also
> added the appropriate rls tag for further discussion with the
> Foundations team. The importance should be high because the bug has a
> severe effect on a small number of users attempting upgrades.

Your work here looks good to me and I agree with the importance.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jammy/+source/systemd/+bug/1979952 -
> I was able to reproduce the bug using the reporter information, so I
> added rls tags to discuss with Foundations. After deciding we wanted
> to work on it for Jammy and Kinetic, I created a test plan and
> completed the SRU template. The importance should be medium because it
> has a severe impact on an uncommon NFS configuration.

This also looks good to me and I agree with a medium importance.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docker-images/+bug/1988300 - Since I
> knew the root cause was in systemd packaging, I updated the bug status
> in systemd to confirmed, and marked the others as invalid. I provided
> justification for this in a comment. The importance should be high
> because it makes systemd-resolved uninstallable in Docker images.

Again I agree with you.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1987720
> - Using the log files collected by apport, I was able to identify a
> problematic PPA as the root cause. I provided this explanation with a
> suggestion on how to fix it, and marked the bug as incomplete until I
> heard back from the reporter. When they responded that my suggestion
> worked, I marked the bug as invalid. I also update the bug title to
> make it clear that a specific PPA caused the issue, which may be
> helpful if other users experience issues due to the same PPA. Since
> the bug was invalid there is no need to assign an importance.

It looks like you also marked a few bugs as duplicates of this one which
is a useful thing to do so thanks for that. You might also want to
mention how to install ppa-purge given that it is provided by a universe
package which is only seeded in Ubuntu Budgie.

> Thanks for taking the time to review my application.

Thank you for applying! Given the quality of your work I've gone ahead
and added you to the ubuntu-bugcontrol team.

Cheers,
--
Brian Murray