ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: Hello Ubuntu Cyclists!

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 06:07:57PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 10:37 -0500, Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> > [...]
> > > and what about an Ubuntu team for running the Tour de France, Vuelta of
> > > Spain, etc? :)
> >
> > This would have been great if Astana would have disolved without the
> > creation of Team Radio Shack. No reason to go for the TdF since Lance and
> > his boys will have that wrapped up next year. The Vuelta would be good
> > since the teams had a lot of their hard hitters out at the Tour of
> > Missouri. Look at the top 10 at the Vuelta, no-namers.
> >
> hmm, no-namers?? Alejandro Valverde, Robert Gesink, Ivan Basso, Samuel
> Sánchez, Cadel Evans, etc, are no-namers??? They are top level runners,
> some of which have been several times in the TdF podium.

I don't think Gesnick or Basso would be top 10, Sanchez is iffy, and Cadel
Evans has had a horrible season this year after last years accomplishments.

> So, even though Contador, the Schlek bros and Armstrong are not running,
> the top 10 could perfectly be a TdF top 10 (with Contador, Schlek and
> Armstrong inserted in between :)

Contador and the Schlek bros are dangerous. I don't think Armstrong is
dangerous yet. He was awesome considering his break, but you can thank
Astana for him getting on the podium. Even though Contador kind of screwed
him and the team, Contador still worked to keep him on the podium.

I didn't figure that the best riders for Garmin and HTC would be at the
tour of Missouri. The US riders, OK, I understand them, but Thor and the
Man's Missile. Though they had a better chance a pretty flat ToM instead of
a somewhat hilly Vuelta. Since I have been racing this season, I have
become fond of some of the US pro teams such as OUCH-Maxxis, Colavita, Team
Jelly Belly, and others. They have some really awesome riders, and some
awesome sprinters.

The bad thing about the US racing scene, it is pretty much over until next
year. I have 2 crits, 1 road race, and a time trial left before the
Cyclocross season kicks off in full force.

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
  WWW|  http://www.ubuntu.com
Email|  nixternal@xxxxxxxxxx
GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738