ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Invalid apport-package bug reports

As I mentioned last week during the sprint there a couple of cases
where apport-package bug reports get reported in Launchpad about Ubuntu
packages that should be set to invalid.  These should no longer being
happening in Oneiric so if you happen to see one reported about Oneiric
please let me know.  While my bug bot deals with these it only modifies
bug reports that have a New status so it might miss some.  I thought I'd
detail the logic here so that you might integrate it into any automatic
bug triaging that you do.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol/ubuntu-qa-tools/master/view/head:/launchpadlib-scripts/crichton-update-bugs.py#L421

In this case an underlying part of the package installation process has
crashed so we really want the apport report of that crash rather than
this install failure.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol/ubuntu-qa-tools/master/view/head:/launchpadlib-scripts/crichton-update-bugs.py#L374

This function deals with failure to read and write deb files and also
corruption in those files.  The strings searched for are:

'failed to read on buffer copy', 'failed in write on buffer copy',
'short read on buffer copy', 'corrupted filesystem tarfile', 'cannot
access archive'

I also tag all of these bug reports to classify these types of problems,
e.g. package-install-segfault, so that we can keep stats on them.

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray