ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: design issue with para first line indents

On 01/13/2011 11:43 AM, Kevin Godby wrote:
'allo.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Kyle Nitzsche
<kyle.nitzsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi,

It appears that first lines of paragraphs are indented unless they are the
first line of a chapter or section.
Yep. This is the correct way to handle paragraph indentation.  (I
could quote references such as The Chicago Manual of Style and some
design books, but you didn't seem impressed by that last time. :-))

Right, design is mutable and subjective.
This causes odd layout sometimes, for example when you start a section with
two or more paragraphs all of which are short enough to be only on one line.
  * The first line is *not* indented
  * The second *is* indented
  * The third *is* indented

See attached image. The content is three one line paragraphs. Result: first
is not indented. Rest Are.

This is confusing I think, because the reader can't easily understand what
is and is not a new paragraph.
I think this exemplifies poor writing and not poor design.  Those
three sentences should belong to the same paragraph.  One-sentence
paragraphs should be fairly rare.

I won't touch this one ;)
One solution may be to never indent the first line of a paragraph. My
(subjective) design opinion is that this is a cleaner and more modern visual
look, and it avoids this kind of issue.
This is something I've been considering.  Since we're inserting so
many blocks of code and other display material, it leads to many
instances of a single line of text introducing the display material
making up the paragraph.  I'll work on the implementation a bit later
today so we can see what it looks like.  (One slight downside is that
it'll increase the length of the book a bit, but I don't think we're
too concerned about page count—correct me if I'm wrong.)

Great. Thanks.
--Kevin