ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: design issue with para first line indents

On 01/13/2011 01:21 PM, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:

It appears that first lines of paragraphs are indented unless they are the
first line of a chapter or section.
Yep. This is the correct way to handle paragraph indentation.  (I
could quote references such as The Chicago Manual of Style and some
design books, but you didn't seem impressed by that last time. :-))

My 'philosophy' on this question:
First-line indented paragraphs are useful when the paragraphs are expected to be lengthy (novels, etc.). In such cases, they save vertical space because you don't need space between paragraphs to differentiate them visually: the indents delimit paragraphs.

In technically oriented writing, brevity is the sole of virtue. Short sentences and paragraphs significantly benefit comprehension and content navigation. A significant percentage of the paragraphs in technical writing are one liners, which are first-line indented. And a significant percentage are not one-liners. You end up with a mix of line indents that is, I think, visually confusing. Better to never indent first lines and (automatically) separate paras with a little white space. (my 2 cents)

See the attached screenshot from my launchpad chapter for an example of how first line indents may be confusing.

Cheers,
Kyle