ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

how to have tilde char followed by char: "~something"

Hi,

Style guide says use \textasciitilde command to insert tilde, which works in many cases.

However, it cannot be followed by a non-space char or else latex *thinks* it is a different command. That is, this is invalid and doesn't build:

\textasciitildeb

(note the trailing 'b')

I have tilde characters in *sample* URLs to illustrate an LP URL to a team:

https://launchpad.net/~blackbird-team

Yes, I could enclose it in a \url command like this, which 'works': \url{https://launchpad.net/~blackbird-team}.

But, that also makes it a clickable link. So users would click on it and a page to nowhere would open in their browser.

Is there a way do to this now? Maybe the \textasciitilde command should use the curly brace syntax, so I could do this:

https://launchpad.net/\textasciitilde{}blackbird-team

?

(and I wish it were shorter.)

Cheers,