ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

invitation to participate in developer.ubuntu.com project

Hello all:

Following up from this moment at the Natty UDS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT5fUcMUfYg#t=6m30s

Jono and I have been working on providing content to
developer.ubuntu.com[1], and we think it's reached a state that is
useful for discussion, participation, and feedback.

Aside from discussions at UDS, we've been basing the content off of the
ubuntu-developer-manual project[2].

Please note that we mean something specific by "developer" in this case,
and it may be a little different than how "developer" is used in other
contexts. The portal shares many of the goals of the
ubuntu-developer-manual project. It is meant for people who want to
write applications to run on Ubuntu, but are new to the Linux Desktop,
at least new to developing apps for a Linux Desktop.

The site strives to present a single reasonably unified "on ramp" for
application developers, by picking and promoting a set of technologies
to help developers go from blank slate to a working application.
However, it in no way is meant to limit developers, so we think the
portal will link to other useful documents and sites as well.

Currently the site has an overall Information Architecture in place, and
some start/draft content for many of the pages.

So, this email is essentially to let folks know what's up, and to invite
participation and contributions. For that purpose, we have set up a
launchpad project[3], with a team and mailing list[4].

Since we're only starting, we don't have any formal processes for the
project. However, we are envisioning suggested fixes coming in the form
of bug reports and discussion happening on the mailing list.

Cheers, Rick

[1] http://developer.ubuntu.com
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-developer-manual
[3] https://launchpad.net/ubuntudeveloperportal