[Question #39019]: can't connect to any wireless networks

Bought a Asus eee 701 this week, and decided to install Ubuntu HH on it.
After install based on  ubuntu-eee-804.iso  everything worked fine, including wireless networking.
Then I installed the 160-plus updates I was notified about. sat it out. I'm not sure if wireless worked after that (it was late). This morning I discovered that no wireless network connection could be made. All wireless networks are visible, including their signal strengths, but no connection is made.

I re-installed the wifi drivers as packed in    madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz
(as suggested by  http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=34427), but no result.

I am pretty much clueless. Could anybody help me with this  (... please) ?

Pim