[Blueprint panel] The Panel

Blueprint changed by Kody Odgers:

Whiteboard changed to:

I'm a fan of glossy dark. ramvi
Glossy Dark is fine with me, as well. As long as the minimized windows don't appear to run into each other (as with using an image for the panel) that should look nice. -Sketh

But how do we set the glossy dark background image as default gnome-
panel background? ramvi

I'm not sure if glossy dark is the right choice. The dark panels in the
themes I've chosen as default are nice. Do you really want gloss? -
m.lettner

I'm willing to go no gloss, as long as it still looks clean. This might
be a stupid question, but could you post a screen shot of the default
theme? -Sketh

We will use this themes: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php
/Compact-Colors?content=78182. If you want to get dark panels you have
to edit the panel.rc in the theme folder. - m.lettner

I've found a nice program called "Gnome Color Chooser" which allows you
to edit the panel any way you would like, including mapping images to
it. Works quite nicely. "http://www.punk-ass-bitch.org/gnome-color-
chooser/" If you want to try it out. -Sketh

Seems like a nice app, but I don't think we need it, because the themes we are going to use are very modular and easily customizable. So if you really want another panel image it's easy to do. But again: I think a plain simple background would be better for the Eee screen (contrast, ...)! We are talking about the default settings, which should please most users.
However, this blueprint is not about the look/style of the panel it's about the use/feel of the panel... - m.lettner

Looks like the default settings for Backgrounds are found here: /usr/share/gconf/defaults/16_ubuntu-wallpapers
Other gconf default settings are found here: /var/lib/gconf  - cheers - Ricey

You might also take a look at how the Mythbuntu theme makes the panel black with a special  panel.rc  file.
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-mythbuntu   from ubuntu repo's.
- pixelatedZEN

--
  The Panel
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu-eee/+spec/panel