[Question #42096]: Installing 8.0.4 on 2G (700) Eee PC?

I have been trying for a while to install the latest version of Ubuntu Eee on my 2G Surf using a 2GB SD card to store some of the files, but have been having little luck. I have read various threads in other forums but none pertain to Ubuntu Eee it seems. Can anyone provide a explanation on how I should split up the directories between the SSD and the SD card so that I can get the OS to fully install? I know that 8.0.4.1 will fix the size issues for 2G machines but I am eager to start messing around with Ubuntu Eee, especially since there is no clear time frame as to when the update will be out. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. As an added note, I am installing the OS off of a 2GB USB thumb drive.

Lastly, I have also run into a situation where making an EXT3 partition on my SD card always fails. Anyone have any idea why that would happen? What is the best partition type I should be using for the files I place on my SD card?