[Question #42502]: download to XP machine, install-use via USB in 901

My question is not identical to a related question by Skaffen (1).  At first, I'd like to try Ubuntu while allowing the factory-made "Xandros" to remain on the 901.

I have a 701; my 901 Linux ought arrive this week. My experience with eee-"Xandros" and its forums and wiki entries as well as 901-"Xandros" flaws have convinced me to try Ubuntu as soon as my 901 arrives, via USB boot (2). Two options seem imminent. (a) I can download the 8.04.1 into the 901 after it arrives and then create the USB file, or (b) I can download the Ubuntu and create the USB file via my XP laptop, then use the USB in my 901.

Here are my questions: can I download files needed for the USB version of Ubuntu eee and prepare the USB for 901 use by doing the download etc with my XP? Then use the USB as a boot drive in my 901?  Or should I not use the XP and instead wait and do the Ubuntu eee dowload and USB creation using the 901?

If I can use my XP, then I can begin the Ubuntu eee/USB project today.  If it's better to do the Ubuntu eee/USB project on the 901 wherein the eee/USB will be used, then I'll wait until the 901 arrives.

Thank you.

1. Using LiveCD on 901 from USB flash drive with persist
Open  Question #42348, asked on 2008-08-16  by Skaffen

2. http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/index.php5?title=Get_Ubuntu_Eee