[Question #43495]: Persistent install of 8.04.1 on USB thumbdrive?

I got an Asus Eee PC 4G a couple of months back with XP installed.  In reading various forums about this computer, I became intrigued with the Linux option.  I installed Ubuntu HH as a dual-boot system on an XP desktop machine and am really like it.

I want to keep XP on the SSD hard drive, with the ability run Linux off a USB thumb drive or SDHC card.  Using UnetBootin, I have installed Puppy linux and eeeTiger linux ISO's to USB thumbdrives and, using ESC at boot, been able to create persistent installations on the thumbdrives.  (Oddly, I have not had equal luck with SDHC cards using the built in card reader).

Still, I really like Ubuntu after using it on my desktop.  I downloaded Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 RC when it was released and "burned" it to a thumbdrive using UnetBootin.  When I booted the Asus Eee of the live thumbdrive and attempted to install it to a SDHC card (I tried a couple different ones) the installation was only at around 30% after 12 hours.  I abandoned that.

I then tried using one "Live" thumbdrive to install Ubuntu to another USB thumbdrive.  This seemed to work but when I attempted to boot the new thumbdrive, I get Error 21:  Selected Disk does not work.

What am I doing wrong? What is the best way to get a persistent version of Ubuntu Eee to run off an SDHC Card or a USB thumbdrive without touching the Windows XP OS on the SSD?