[Question #44019]: Almost empty xorg.conf?

I regularly use my eee 701 4G for gaming, and a typical optimization is to set the display to 16bit color, instead of 24. The thing is that the traditional way to configure this is by manually editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf. My surprise came when I found that the default xorg.conf in ubuntu eee 8.04.1 RC is practically empty: no card driver, no monitor driver, no modes...

How can I then tweak my xorg.conf? And, just out of curiosity, from where does X get its configuration since it's not in xorg.conf?