[Question #44756]: root access (using su - ) , installing updates + apps

I have the 2.6.24-21-eeepc kernel (running 8.04.1 RC1 rev.).
When using terminal, I'd like to run su - to run as root.
What is the default root pw in order to run in this security context?

When running synaptic, some (e.g. Abiword editor). Other packages seem to be unavailable.
When using package updates, do I need any specific settings?
Is there an FAQ for these basics. Appreciate the assistance.