[Question #44996]: 8.04.1 install problem on 900

Hi there.  I have tried both 8.04 and 8.04.1 on my EeePC 900 booting from usb cd-rom, and neither work.

1) I downloaded the image and burned it to a disk (for both versions)

2) booted to the cd-rom, and the "splash screen" comes up.

3) For the 8.04 image, there was a cursor, and instructions to type "live" to start the live cd.  For the 8.04.1 image, there were several options including something like "Start Ubuntu without affecting your filesystem" and "Install."

4) 8.04: after typing "live" and pressing enter, it proceeded to load files for approx. 5 minutes before rebooting the system.  If I don't touch anything, it reboots back to the Ubuntu splash screen.
   8.04.1: If I click the livecd option, it loads until it displays a display error, and the option to adjust the resolution and continue.  No matter what I click, it crashes after that.  If I click the install option, it loads files for about 5 minutes before giving me a terminal type prompt and no other instructions.

Unfortunately I'm not knowledgable enough in Linux to realize what the problem is.

Has anyone else had a similar experience using a USB optical drive for the installation?

Thanks!
Jim