Re: [Question #45232]: Does Ubuntu-eee support the EeePC 1000?

ayeam1 proposed the following answer:
Hi:
I don't normally do this but, maybe my successful experience with my install will help you in making a decision.  I am typing this on my ASUS EEE PC 1000H running Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1.   My netbook is not the ASUS EEE PC 1000 40G with the solid state drive.  It  is an ASUS EEE PC 1000h 80G which came with Windows XP.  This is what worked for me.  It did require a CD burner and an external DVD/CD drive connected to the USB port.

(1)  I removed the hard disk and replaced it with a 250G Western Digital.   This gave me a path back in case I lost my mind ... and wanted Windows XP back.
(2)  I downloaded the iso for Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1  and created a live CD.
(2)  I booted from this CD and tested everything before the install but for, the wireless connnection
and the webcam.  Everything that I tested worked ... the functions keys for volume, brightness etc. and I had a DHCP wired connection from the moment of bootup.  The Netbook Remix interface is bright and looks just like the image on the following page: Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 right after installation, Address : <http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/index.php5?title=Main_Page>.  I did not like the interface at first being a long time Motif, Openlook, ..... and lately a KDE user ... but, now I love it.  It fits the 1000H perfectly in my book.
(3) So I installed Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 and have been using it for  about 24 plus hours now.  I had intended to only try it ... and I was going to install Kubuntu and do all of the tweaks ... but, I think this is a winner.  The interface is very responsive and makes Windows XP look old and I now prefer it to the ASUS easy interface on my EEE PC 701 and/or  full desktop mode with virtual desktops enabled.

However, there have been some problems ... that I don't have answers  for:
On the first install the following anomalies were noted:
(1) Randomly the Quit button has to be clicked multiple times to get the dialog window up ... one time it would not come up ... so I had to take it down from the command line ...

(2) It would not connect to my home Linksys WAP at first ... even though
the WAP is only using WEP security.  Its not on very much ...    I
verified that Ubuntu eee did  see the connection and and also the
neighbors wireless SSIDs  but, I could not connect.

(3) One time the whole interface did freeze ... I had to remove the battery that time.

The Second Install = No Problems Since
After hacking at the first install for some time .. I had what I thought was a long trek to get back to even and a reinstall is quick.  So I reinstalled Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 again ... and none of the above problems have reappeared.   I have been using this second install now for about 22 hours and have in fact updated, installed all of my apps and tweaked the menus and ....  I am ready to go ... and happy:)

In my view,  I think Ubuntu eee  is better than the Windows XP that ASUS
seems to now think ... is soooo good and it is definitely better than
the Easy interface of Xandros  and the broken packages in their
repositories...  I did remove the made for Windows XP label ... "How
could someone make hardware for that? :)"

I think Ubuntu EEE is value added to my EEE PC 1000H and I will work
through any problems I find. I am at the moment not even considering
dual booting with Kubuntu.

But, I would like to have a utility to disable the trackpad when I am
using my Trackman Wheel marble mouse.  I had found one for Windows XP
for $20 ... I don't have one for Ubuntu eee.

Note, I have not tested the webcam, an external connecton to a monitor,
and probably some other things.  Your mileage may differ.

Ayeam1