[Question #45647]: WiFi is DOA

I just installed 8.04.0.1 on a eee pc 900.  It came up without WiFi, but when I would click on the "dead network connection" mini-icon (top right), it knew the name of my WiFi network.  When I entered the WEP key in hex, the mini-icon changed to two marbles with a ghosty thing circling.  This would last around 5 minutes during which, if I hovered the cursur, a yellow box came up reading "Waiting for Network Key for the wireless network xxx".  Then either the "Wireless Network Key Requireed" popup comes back or the "dead network connection" mini-icon returned.  Then I started over.  Af

In the next hour I tried around 25 more times in my account with admin priveleges, and it finally worked!  Now, when I log in to that account, it automatically tries, but often fails a few times.  On one of my other login accounts (non-admin), it took another 30 minutes to get it to work once but now works automatically, though fails half the time and asks me for the WEP key again.

This is messed up.  I haven't even tried yet on my remaining login accounts.  If I'm having this much trouble at home, what will happen when I go elsewhere?