[Question #46017]: USB stick - invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume

I'll ask this and answer it myself, since this had me stumped and I think other EEE users may get the same problem:

You plug a USB stick in and get a message something along the lines of "invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume". In my case it turned out that this is because I had installed Ubuntu on the EEE using that same USB stick, and an entry had been added to fstab during the installation that erroneously identified it as a CD-ROM. The solution was simply to comment out the offending line in fstab, i.e.

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

and put a '#' in front of a line that looks something like this:

/dev/sdc1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

After a restart this solved the problem. I got the solution from here:

Hope this helps someone.