[Question #46189]: ext3 partition mounted as ext2 (eeePC 901)

At installing ubuntu-eee on a 901, I selected guided and the 16Gb SSD, I was  not
been able of choosing between ext3 and ext2 and I ended up with
an ext3 partition. I understand that an ext2 partition is better for the SSD.

In order to avoid a reinstallation with manual partition,
can I mount the ext3 partition as an ext2 (just by stating ext2 in the fstab file)?
Would this have any negative effect? Would this be equivalent to having formatted
the partition as ext2 in terms of decreasing disk usage?
In other words, could I change this line in fstab
/dev/sdb1     /  ext3  relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
by this one:
/dev/sdb1     /  ext2  noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

?

Thanks

Agus