[Question #46395]: 8.04.1 Disk space too high

I've installed ubuntu eee 8.04.1 on the 4 gig ssd of my 901.  Initially after installation gparted was reporting 1.8 gigs used space.

I used the add/remove tool to add java 6 runtime and I installed tuxguitar.  Now I find my disk usage is over 3.5 gigs.  Can anyone help me to understand what's filled up all that space.  My initial though is that Add/remove has downloaded extra stuff.  From what I can tell most of the soace is taken up by the /usr folder but I'm a newbi to linux so I'm not really sure what should be in there.

Thanks for any help you can offer.