[Question #46466]: Partitioning advice for dual booting with xp

I've got a 1000H running XP and I want to dual-boot ubuntu eee.  The hdd is already partitioned - c: containing windows and d: with nothing. so in my simple mind I'd want to install ubuntu eee to d:.  When I get to the "Prepare Disk Space" part of the install, my options are "Guided - resize partition #1 sda) and use freed space", "Guided - use entire disk" or "Manual".  The first option shows "New partition size:" and a draggable control for a 40Gb partition, of which 4.9Gb is marked as MS Windows and it's suggesting the rest for Ubuntu.  I resized this to 20Gb for each, then proceeded with the install.  It all looked OK, but when I tried to boot to XP I got an error (can't remember what it was, but it came up straight away).  So I ended up reinstalling XP from the support DVD.  Please can someone advise me how to do the partitioning?  Why is there no option to use the second partition (what windows sees as d:)?  Am I just talking rubbish?

Thanks,

Chris