[Question #47721]: EFI partition on 1000H necessary?

Hi!
At least I'm now able to get WLAN running so I can ask some strange question: I recently bought a 1000H  from ixsoft.de (They are selling at the same prize as Amazon also w/o shipping costs but some more or less usefull gifts. The black edition is also available even when Amazon doesn't have anymore.) The real difference is: the ixsoft e3 1000H comes not only with XP (HE), but also with eeePC Xandros installed (dualboot). The original partition layout is
/dev/sda1 ~40GB ntfs = Drive C for XP
/dev/sda2 ~35GB ntfs = Drive D for XP
/devsda3 41MB partition type  = EFI
/dev/sda5 ~4GB ext3 eeePC (socalled SYSTEM)
/dev/sda6 ~70GB ext3 eeePC (USER)
The blocks of /dev/sda3 are at the end of the physical drive, e.g. the last blocks.
Well, I backuped everything (including MBR) with ubuntu-eee on a USB stick together with package partimage.deb to be installed after booting from the stick. Additionally I saved /dev/sda3 (using dd).
Thereafter I installed once ubuntu-eee and everything went well - except, that I couldn't get the WLAN (ra0) running at all. Neither using NetManager nor using /etc/network/interfaces (hard coded).
Well, may be I made an mistake (might well be I already installed some 2500 Linux/Unix systems in my life) and btw. sound is not working too, so I decided to do the whole installation again - but no better! Still WLAN just seems to be available but is not working. I checked the BIOS - everything alright. Well, what to do? I thought, maybe have a look at the original installation and used the previously saved partition images and the MBR and tried to boot them but ... hm, some problem with grub so I got tired of all this not out the box working nonsense and gave it a last trial (installation from USB stick will take about 10 minutes). I once again (third time) installed ubuntu eee (BTW: to me it's named eeebuntu) and, ta, ta, taa, WLAN is working! I got a bit wondering how this could be possible?

When restoring the original installation I - of course - restored /dev/sda3 (the EFI partition) too, because someone at ixsoft has told me, the EFI partition is necessary for Windows (but not for Linux). Actually I'm not very much used to the upcoming EFI successor of our well beloved BIOS (bugs). When installing the third time I left the EFI partition in place (only 41 MB at the end of the drive). So that's the only difference to my previous installations. And, remarkably, sound is working too (at boot up I've been greeted with this lovely Ubuntu (Gnome) welcome tremolo to log in.

So, all you lucky eeePC 1000H users: is this EFI partiton on our 160GB drive really necessary for Linux/Ubuntu too? (The partition is NOT visible from within XP explorer!)  Or has someone had similar problems with WLAN / sound ... after first installing eeebuntu on 1000H?

Sorry for this long story!

Enjoy your e³