Re: [Question #48953]: Ubuntu EEE compared to Xandros on 901

Jonathon Hodges proposed the following answer:
It's hard to be scientific, as I was so miserable using Xandros I didn't
feel like recording how fast different things loaded.  My impression is
that it's faster all round.  The boot process is slightly faster under
Xandros according to the makers of Ubuntu Eee, but that's not reason
enough to use it instead of Ubuntu.

I was having real trouble with dependencies and finding repositories for
packages; now with Ubuntu Eee, I'm pretty sure I could install most
software I need. Updating seems to work, whereas it was a pain and
really quite hit and miss with the Asus updater.  Finding stuff through
the tidy Netbook Remix interface is good under Ubuntu, the Asus menu was
beginning to bother me with its not very helpful links to things like
Google, Google Mail and Internet.  Erm, thanks guys, when I load my web
browser, I get my iGoogle homepage, which gives me google and also my
gmail.  Two useless shortcuts.

If you're still doubtful about it, make yourself a restore USB key for
Xandros using a desktop computer before you install Ubuntu.  That way
you can go back if you don't like it.  Alternatively, you can make a
Live installation of Ubuntu on a key and then you can test it out before
you install properly.

Go on.  Give it a go.  I'm convinced that if you bump into another Eee
user and they're still on Xandros and you're on Ubuntu, you'd be able to
convert them no trouble at all.

Good luck!
Jon