[Question #49616]: Unable to unmout USB drive I installed from

After installing Ubunut Eee from a USB stick I am unable to get the USB stick to unmount from my desktop. It is persistently listed in the right hand toolbar, even though the device is no longer attached to the machine. When hovering over the drive the eject option appears, which I click, but the drive will not disappear. It's strange that the USB stick is still being recognized as mounted even though it's not attached to the machine.

The one fix I have tried is to reconfigure my BIOS boot sequence to read from the HDD first, a USB drive second, and a CD/DVD peripheral third. This did not help.

How can I permanently get rid of this ghost USB device that always appears as a mounted drive when I start-up me Eee?