[Question #49808]: Video playback stuttering and choppy

I've just installed Eee Ubuntu on my 900 and am finding video playback in both Totem and VLC stutters every few seconds. I can't see a pattern in when the stutters occur. They happen between 10 and 30 seconds apart.

I tried changing to ALSA for playback in the Preferences :: Sound applet after reading that Pulse Audio can be problematic [http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=800458]. That did not help.

Any ideas what else I should try? This is a clean install of Hardy 8.04, Kernel 2.6.24-21-eeepc.