[Question #50099]: Ubuntu eee install didn't offer a partition option

My 8.04 install from a USB drive didn't offer me the option of dual booting my XP.  It only gave me a 'use entire disk' and manual partition.  I was looking for the auto partition that would recognize windows and allow me to drag a line to resize the partition.  I grew impatient and installed the OS on the entire 160 gb.  Well, at some point I want to find an external drive, restore the windows OS, and dual boot with ubuntu.  Any idea why I didn't get the option to resize the partition?