[Question #50973]: How can I determine what hardware is on my system?

I'm specifically interested in knowing what wireless device my 901 Eee PC is using (but being able to identify all of the hardware in the PC would be helpful).  I simply don't know how to get this information without taking apart the PC.  I'd like to know what the device is so that I can perhaps look into finding and downloading the driver from Asus ... maybe that's the problem I'm having with my intermittent wireless connectivity?  I dunno.  Is the Linux driver that is being used by Xandros the same Linux driver that would be used by Ubuntu-eee??  Would installing that driver fix my wireless problems perhaps?

I have two Eee PC 901s.  Same systems ... same hardware ... exactly the same, all the way down to the flippin' color.  One is running Xandros and can connect to my home router (any network) fine ... never an issue.  (Of course, Xandros has a host of OTHER problems which lead to my switching to Ubuntu-eee).  The other PC is running Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1 and Wicd.  Unfortunately, I'm having trouble connecting to our home network with the Ubuntu and Wicd setup ... but it seems to work just fine elsewhere.  There is no security ... it's an open network.

I removed and reinstalled Wicd and that seemed to temporarily fix my problem.  I could connect fine to our home network.  I then shut down the PC and powered back on only to find that I can't connect anymore ... or that my connectivity is extremely intermittent.  It says I have anywhere from 80% to 100% signal, but the PC is not getting an IP address from DHCP on the router.  I simply don't know why.  I've tried setting everything in Wicd ... several times ... but nothing seems to work.  I thought that maybe toggling from some settings to other settings did something to help connectivity ... it seemed that if I toggled a Wicd setting or two I'd get a connection ... but I can't reliably reproduce that at all.

I can configure the wireless network to access with a static IP and mask, but all of the apps I've been playing with don't seem to allow the flexibility to roam when I want to and just click on a static config for my home.  I can configure the static setup ... and the wireless work ... but it's completely lost when I set the PC to roam and I can't keep reconfiguring the static setup all the time (the PCs belong to my kids ... they need access both at home and at school ... and anywhere they go that has an open network, for that matter).

I don't know what to do.  I've about given up on it.  Obtaining the wireless driver from Asus seems to be a possible option.  I just don't know where else to turn and I have absolutely no idea if that is even a viable option, if it will work, or how to even install the driver!

Please help.