[Question #50987]: Asus eeePc 701 4G / wireless needs ifdown/ifup

I have looked at various posts on this forum discussing the wireless problems with the 701 & Ubuntu eee.
Here's my experience:
Installed Ubuntu eee 8.04.1 using a USB stick.
Tried to setup wireless using the Networking tool, but no joy :-(
Eventually just configured the wireless directly by updating /etc/networking/interfaces.
I'm using a WPA key so I found a website that converted the SSID & WPA key into Hex.
Ran:
ifdown ath0
ifup ath0
wireless works :-)

After a restart of Ubuntu my wireless doesn't work and I need to run ifdown / ifup.

Note - I still haven't installed any updates.or additional software / drivers since installing 8.04.1.

So does anyone know why I need to run ifdown/ifup to get this to work? Is it because the networking tool is overriding my settings somehow? Note my interfaces file has ath0 set to auto.