Re: [Question #50905]: Wifi not connecting

Ursus88 gave more information on the question:
I don't have it specifically set as an ad-hoc network, no.  In other
words, I didn't specifically create an ad-hoc network (something Wicd
seems to let you do).  If I reinstall Wicd, I am able to connect without
a problem for, maybe, two sessions but after I reboot I run into the
same problem.

Unless Wicd considers the very first network to which I connect to be an
"ad hoc" network, then I don't think this is the problem.  For what it's
worth, it appears that Wicd is getting stuck obtaining an IP address.  I
have the same problem discussed here:

http://wicd.net/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=277

I read somewhere that restarting the daemon will fix the problem ...
again, temporarily.  I expect reloading Wicd does the same thing.

I also noticed that the Network Manager icon is still on the system, and
I can still access it and make modifications to the various connections.
I'm wondering if maybe Wicd isn't completely removing Network Manager
and I'm getting some sort of funky combination/confliction between Wicd
and what's still there for Network Manager?  I found some more detailed
Wicd installation instructions here:

http://www.ubuntu-
eee.com/wiki/index.php5?title=How_to_use_Wicd_instead_of_Network_Manager

I never purged Network Manager.  I merely installed Wicd.  During
installation, Wicd does say that it will remove Network Manager during
the install, but it doesn't appear that it is doing so fully?  Not sure.