[Question #51572]: Weird sound distortion problem with eeepc 901, urgent help

I have a very weird problem and I don't know how to go about solving it. Whenever I play a sound, music or system sound, a very loud distortion plays in the background as well, and stops as soon as the sound stops. This doesn't happen immediately, but after the eee pc is on for about 10 minutes. It doesn't always happen in both channels, sometimes it happens in the left only, like right now theres a very loud distortion coming from the left speaker and the sound (from skype) coming from both speakers. I tried uninstalling pulseaudio, thinking it might have a problem with this sound card, but it still has the issue. Also if I turn the volume all the way down the music or whatever i'm playing goes down but the distortion stays the same volume, even on mute.
Any help is appreciated, this is REALLY annoying!
Thank you,
-Matt