[Question #51757]: Controlling fan

I have a 900HA running Ubuntu eee 8.4.1, and I'm wondering if there's a way to set the fan on/off or even control its speed, since I've read that other models have this capability. My cpu temp is consistantly up around 60 C, and from feeling the vents the fan doesn't seem to kick in until long after it hits this temp.
lm-sensors is unable to detect anything and acpi only has a cpu temperature reading, so I can't seem to even read my fan speed.
I haven't accepted the partial upgrade and eepc-config because I found that these stopped my wifi from working on a previous install. I tried installing the eee-control package, but that reported that my model is unsupported, and also caused a constant 50% load on my cpu.
Any suggestions?