[Question #53607]: failed in buffer_read(fd)

Description changed to:
I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 for a month or two.  I recently upgraded
to 8.10.  I just got the laptop back from my niece and ran the update
manager.  The updates appear to be downloaded, but during the
installation, I receive the following error message: E:
/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-
image-2.6.27-10-generic_2.6.27-10.20_i386.deb: failed in buffer_read(fd)

John