Re: [Question #56470]: volume control stuck on maximum

Question #56470 on Easy Peasy changed:

Jonathon Hodges proposed the following answer:
Ok then, quoting from the volume fix and trying to explain what's going
on.  I'm sorry if this is a bit like the blind leading the blind :-(

--Step 1--
Change permissions on alsa-base file by performing the following command:
   sudo chmod 646 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

- What? How?
- This changes the file permissions on the alsa-base configuration file, you have to put "sudo" before the command "chmod" which changes permissions because the file belongs to root, the so called superuser.  Sudo allows you to execute commands as if you were root.  It's a lot safer than logging in as the root user, and is one of the reasons that Linux and OS X are much safer than Windows right from the start.  It's harder to screw stuff up if your regular username/login doesn't give you full rights to break your computer.  There are some other reasons why it's good but that's for another day...
All you have to do is to copy that line into a terminal (command line) and enter your password.

--Step 2--
add the following line to to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
   options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig

- How?
- ok I reckon you should type:
gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

into the terminal at this point.  If I understand correctly, you won't
need to sudo gedit because when you did the first step above (chmod -
change permissions) you made it readable and writable by your normal
user.  Do you see?

--Step 3--
That'll start gedit, the text editor.
Paste the
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig
line onto a new line at the end of that file and save it.  You can close gedit now.

Then you're back to the terminal.

--Step 4--
Then type the following command:
   sudo alsa force-unload

- What?
- Unloads the alsa module which controls the sound in Linux.

--Step 5--
Then type the following command:
   sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel

Which should insert the snd-hda-intel module into the kernel, I'm afraid
I'll only embarass myself in front of everyone if I try and explain that
any further.

Although it's rarely necessary to restart a linux computer, I think
that's probably the easiest thing to try after you've completed Step 5.

Is it making a bit more sense now? :-)

Jon

You should now be able to control the sound volume. Maybe you will need
rebooting.

Ubuntu Eee Coders, which is an answer contact for Easy Peasy.