Re: [Question #46189]: ext3 partition mounted as ext2 (eeePC 901)

Question #46189 on Easy Peasy changed:

Davidaf proposed the following answer:
Hi Agus.
I suppose you have solved your problem already but anyway.
Ext3 is ext2 + journal mainly to avoid data lose in case of a power fail.
A quick search at google guided me to this page: http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html where you can find this:
Q: How do I convert my ext3 partition back to ext2?

Actually there is only little need to do so, because in most cases it is sufficient to mount the partition explicitely as ext2. But if you really need to convert your partion back to ext2 just do the following on an unmounted partition:
    tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdaX
To be on the safe side you should force a fsck run on this partition afterwards:
    fsck.ext2 -f /dev/hdaX
After this procedure you can safely delete the .journal file if there was any.

David

Ubuntu Eee Coders, which is an answer contact for Easy Peasy.