ubuntu-elisp team mailing list archive

emacs won't start though installed

Hi,

I am not sure if this is a bug but I could not find help on this. This is on Ubuntu 8.10, emacs is installed as seen below:

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 22.2.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

However, it does not load up.
~$ emacs -Q

No fonts match `-jmk-neep alt-medium-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1'

Initially it did load up but would not allow C-x d and said
something about not able to load dired.  I was trying to use latex with
emacs and so had followed instructions here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80344 ;).  The only way I can bring up emacs is by doing the following:
~$ emacs -fn 8x13 &
[1] 18287
nikhil@nikhil-laptop:~$ Warning: Cannot convert string "-jmk-neep alt-medium-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

Even
then C-x d doesn't work. When it does open, for a fraction of second,
it displays a screen that I have attached (regarding error).

Would really appreciate any help in dealing with this.

Thanks,
Nikhil