ubuntu-elisp team mailing list archive

Re: Putting byte compilation logs in a file obscures debugging

(Apologies for using a webmail client which sucks ...)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:38 +0300, "era" <ubuntu-elisp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Following up on a thread from yesteryear (and then some), I would like
> to suggest that maybe the byte compilation logs should not be saved in
> a temp file at all.  It may have been appropriate when dpkg was the
> primary .deb installation front end, but these days, with Synaptic and
> Apport, most people don't see the terminal output from dpkg at all, and
> those who do might actually want to see what went wrong right away,
> rather than find a file in /tmp with an awkward name and read it
> (provided they even notice the problem when it happens, rather than
> later, when the file might have been erased).
>
> This would require the postinst of the various emacsen packages to be
> modified.  Perhaps it would be enough at this point to fix it only in
> emacs23 and/or emacsen-common, and expect others to follow suit later.

Sorry for following up on myself here.  Upon closer examination, this
code only exists in emacs22 and emacs-snapshot.  Given that the Ubuntu
emacs23 doesn't have this code, one could argue that it has already been
proven that it's not really necessary or useful (nobody seems to miss it
much ;/)

> FWIW thanks to siretart for fixing the old bug #413110 -- however, I
> have never seen a bug report which actually included the byte
> compilation logs.

Perhaps this too can be explained by the fact that emacs23 doesn't
trigger this case in the first place.  I would expect some
emacs-snapshot bugs to still trigger, though.