ubuntu-fridge team mailing list archive

Action Requested: Fridge LP mailing lists

Hi,

I'd like to reopen the discussion of the Fridge and News Mailing lists
now that LP mailing lists are out of beta.

To rehash:

1) We want one list where folks can send news items to that services
the Fridge, UWN, and other areas (e.g. Full Circle).
  * There's a LP team for this https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-news
which can have it's own mailing list however only team members can
post.
  * We had wanted a list where anyone can submit articles.

2) I want to shutdown fridge-devel (which is private and I don't
recognize several of the subscribers) for fridge editor discussions
and use the LP list (ubuntu-fridge) for all editor discussions.
ubuntu-fridge discussions can be viewed by the public however posting
is restricted to team members..  This list is driven by our LP team:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-fridge  which will (in 2-3 months) also
drive ACL access on the fridge itself.  So, I'd like to center
everything around it. It makes administration of our team much easier.

I am blocked on executing #2 above because it's dependent upon finding
a solution for #1.  A proposal for #1 was submitted as
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuNews
I'd like you all to review the proposal. For the purposes of this
email, I don't have an opinion on the proposal.  Another possible
solution is to make a mailing list for ubuntu-news, allow anyone to
subscribe to the team, and then all subscribers could post. The down
side is someone posting has to be subscribed (which will be addressed,
perhaps this fall, with something call "standing" which would allow
certain types of active users to post to lists run by teams of which
they themselves are not a member of). The upside is that it will
drastically reduce spam.

Comments please.  I am quite anxious to implement #2.

Joey

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Matthew East <mdke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Joey Stanford <joey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > >  On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Joey Stanford <joey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > >  > 3) We enable mailing lists on ubuntu-news and we move the fridge
>  > >  > editor discussions over to ubuntu-news
>  > >
>  > >  That works for me in principle - but then non-members won't be able to
>  > >  write to us. We need a single list which is open to non-members. Will
>  > >  that feature be available on launchpad?
>  >
>  >
>  > right, ubuntu-news would need to be an open team. To post, folks would
>  > need to join the team and subscribe to the list.  At least until the
>  > concept of standing is implemented (perhaps later this year) which
>  > would allow contributers meeting certain requirements to post to lists
>  > they are not subscribed to.
>  >
>  > If your concern is that folks still have to subscribe to post the we
>  > should create and host the list outside of Launchpad.
>
>  I don't feel strongly about it but I tend to think that it's a little
>  bit too much of a barrier for the time being - maybe we can review it
>  when the LP implementation has matured slightly and has that sort of
>  capability.
>
>  I think the LP implementation is seriously pretty cool but it may be
>  that for this purpose we want to use a regular Ubuntu list. Lets see
>  what others think.
>

>  --
>  Matthew East
>  http://www.mdke.org