ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Hello

Figured I'd introduce myself as well :)

My name is Olaf, I'm a German native but living in the San Francisco bay
area, have been in the US since 2000 and in the bay area for three years.
I've worked in the game industry for a few years on a few large titles as a
software engineer. I've used Linux at home for a few years now (Kubuntu for
the last five) and would like to see more quality (commercial *and* open
source) games on the platform.
And of course, I've got $0.02 to add ;)

There are quite a few good ideas out there already, but one thought that I
saw I would like to reinforce: to draw people to free games, we need as good
a selection of high quality games as possible. Getting developers on the
platform is obviously crucial in that respect, and I believe one of the keys
to that door is to have good development platforms. There are a variety of
free game and 3D engines out there, and the more accessible they are, the
easier it would be for developers to get started on their game projects.
This includes maintaining and packaging to make sure the latest versions are
available, but also resources such as example code, tutorials, and support
for the developers. Most of these are left to the teams developing the
respective middleware, but it would be nice to have a central resource to
learn how to bring a simple app using, for example, Ogre, SDL and OpenAL up
and running from the ground up, or how to build, texture, skin, animate and
export a model for a particular engine in Blender.
Let's make it easy for developers to get started on their projects by
providing them with the resources they need to learn.

The second, and just as crucial, point is IMO, to help bring these projects
to completion. Many free game projects exist out there, but few actually
make it out the door, into a 'shipping' or even playable state.
There are a variety of causes for this, one of them being that there are
simply not enough people and not enough time - something we may be able to
help with if we form a central hub that programmers, artists and designers
can revolve around, to find projects they're interested in working on, and
to take on tasks on these projects. I imagine something along the lines of,
someone interested in game development browsing launchpad for game projects,
looking at screenshots, concept art and game designs, zeroing in on a
particular project and next thing, grabbing the source and taking on a task
- which could be modeling, texturing, writing script, designing and
implementing a needed system in the code, recording and processing audio,
fixing bugs, etc. etc. - there are so many different tasks from different
disciplines on a game project, and getting the right people together is a
recipe for success. We should make it fun and easy for the right people to
start working together on a project.

I apologize if this was rambling, and hope I did more than just point out
the obvious - just wanted to throw a couple of ideas out there :)

Olaf