ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Best Single Player Shoot Em Game

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:52 AM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any single player arcade / shoot 'em games for Ubuntu that would
> allow me to show someone the graphics and play quality of linux?

By arcade / shoot 'em up I assume you're meaning stuff like Galaga.
There is a series of games by Kenta Cho that you should take a look
at:

noiz2sa, parsec47, rrotage, titanion, gunroar, tumiki-fighters, and mu-cade.

You can find them at
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html, but they're all
packaged in Debian / Ubuntu and patched to build and run on Linux.

> Single Player
Most are single player, but gunroar also has some 2 player coop modes.

> Demo mode is a plus

Most have demo modes based on replays. I don't think they're designed
to avoid burn-in though.

> Great graphics is a must

The games have a unique openGL style that is relatively consistent
across those games. I like it, especially if you turn up the
resolution. Gunroar is particularly interesting to me.

> great sound or music is preferred.

They've all got plenty of music in high quality ogg format. They're
not in my playlist, but that's true of commercial games as well.