ubuntu-gnome-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Confirming the zesty release schedule

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Steve Langasek
<steve.langasek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZestyZapus/ReleaseSchedule

I notice the Final Release date was moved a few weeks earlier from an
earlier draft.

If we ship much of the latest GNOME stable release (3.24) like we did
with Yakkety (3.22), then it would be more convenient (fewer SRUs) to
have Final Freeze be just after GNOME's 3.24.1 release [1]. I propose
that Final Freeze be pushed one week later to April 13 and Final
Release be pushed one week later to April 20.

For reference, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS was released April 21, 2016 and Ubuntu
15.04 was released April 23.

I don't know yet whether we will try to ship the latest GNOME this
cycle. Some apps will be using GTK+4 and it's important that popular
Ubuntu themes can handle that. And there's a very narrow window
between GNOME's UI Freeze and Ubuntu's Feature Freeze in which to do
the uploads to avoid needing Ubuntu Feature Freeze Exceptions.

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointTwentythree

Thanks,
Jeremy

Follow ups